Mobile insurance plan from AT&T can do two things:
- Track your lost phone (if you go with the second plan)
- Replace your lost phone with a new one.
Once you have purchased AT&T’s insurance plan for your new iPhone — works even on iPhone 4S/4 and iPhone 5 — then you don’t have to worry about your smartphone anymore. You may lose your iPhone in college, let someone steal it, drop your phone or let the water (or any liquid) flow into the pipes of iPhone, AT&T will cover the expenses. The carrier will replace existing iPhone with a new one, even if the warranty period of the phone expires.
You get a replacement phone the next day but you have to pay some fee to get into this plan. And how many times can you claim a new Apple iPhone? Only two times in 12 months, assuming the phone cost is under $1500 (iPhones are definitely not that costly, so we are good).
Second plan to insurance iPhone from AT&T: AT&T also has a Mobile Protection Pack that combines two existing feature. One is the mobile insurance plan (the above one) and the other is the enhanced support plan where you will get help and suggestions regarding your device.
You will also get a new Mobile Locate app as part of this plan. This free app, exclusively available only for AT&T customers, can do the following:
- Track missing iPhone in real-time.
- Find where your iPhone was in the last five locations with turn-by-turn navigation support.
- Send an alarm to your lost iPhone. This works even if the iPhone is in silent or vibrate mode. The alarm will run for three minutes continuously.
- Ability to lock the iPhone and also wipe the whole data (including documents, games and apps) in one-click. Customers can also unlock their phone.
What you will get
- The goal is to fulfill your claim with the same make or model of like, kind and quality. However, depending on availability, you may instead receive a device of the same or different model.
- Device color, brand, model and features may be different and accessory compatibility is not guaranteed.
Also covered if reported as part of covered loss:
- Standard Battery
- Standard Battery Charger
- SIM card
May include one of the following at your option (if part of the covered loss): one accessory (phone claims only; subscriber may select a carrying case, automobile cigarette lighter adapter or standard wired earpiece [not wireless or other specialty earpieces such as Bluetooth®])
Cell Phones Not Covered Under At&T Mobile Insurance:
- Apple® iPadTM (all models)
- Phones on GoPhone® accounts
- Tablets with prepaid data plans, BlackBerry® PlayBookTM
- AT&T 3G MicroCellTM
- Device models not sold by AT&T (e.g., Dell StreakTM, Google Nexus OneTM, TerreStar GENUSTM)
- Docks (such as for the MOTOROLA® ATRIXTM 4G)
Signup iPhone for AT&T Mobile Insurance
Signing up for this mobile insurance plan requires you to be a customer of AT&T. In other words, if you have an iPhone under AT&T contract, you can avail this offer. However, you must sign up within 30 days of device activation. If you do not sign up within the first month, you won’t be able to buy and activate the insurance plan on your iPhone. Along with a fixed fee (non-refundable deductible) you also have to pay a monthly premium fee of $6.99 per mobile number enrolled.
Deductible will vary according to the device type. There are three tiers outlined below:
- Device Tier 1 devices will be charged a $50 non-refundable deductible.
- Device Tier 2 devices will be charged a $125 non-refundable deductible.
- Device Tier 3 devices will be charged a $199 non-refundable deductible.
From the AT&T Press Release:
Customers must enroll in AT&T Mobile Protection Pack within 30 days of activation date or device upgrade date. Existing Mobile Insurance customers can upgrade to the Mobile Protection Pack at any time. Both Mobile Insurance and Enhanced Support are available as standalone products, however Mobile Locate is only available as part of the Mobile Protection Pack. If the customer is enrolled in Mobile Protection Pack and decides to drop Mobile Insurance, both Enhanced Support and Mobile Locate will also be dropped. However, the customer can still purchase Enhanced Support separately for $9.00 per month per enrolled number. Mobile Locate is available on select phones. All features may not work on all devices. Visit att.com/mobileprotectionpack for more information.
Mobile Insurance: A nonrefundable deductible of either $50 or $125 applies, depending upon the device model for each approved claim. Claims may be fulfilled with a new or remanufactured device. Customers are allowed 2 claims within any consecutive 12 months with a maximum device value of $1,500 per occurrence. Customers can cancel the optional coverage at any time and receive a prorated refund of unearned premium.
Mobile Insurance is insurance underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company (CNA), and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC (in California, Asurion Protection Services Insurance Agency, LLC, CA Lic. #OD63161. In Puerto Rico, Asurion Protection Services of Puerto Rico, Inc.) a licensed agent of CNA. To keep things simple, the $6.99 monthly premium and a non-refundable deductible, applicable to each approved claim, are added to your AT&T billing statement.
You may also want to download this PDF file explaining AT&T’s mobile insurance plan.